Licensed Funeral Director/Embalmer
Strawser & Staley Funeral Homes & Cremation Service - Blue Ash & Deer Park, OH
Seeking a Licensed Funeral Director to add to our team of funeral professionals:
We are a progressive, highly respected non-union family-owned Funeral Home, looking for a professional, motivated, and compassionate, apprentice and/or a licensed funeral director/embalmer seeking long-term employment. Our Funeral Homes has served the Communities for over 100 years and has a strong commitment to the families we serve. We consider our staff to be family!
- Must have valid OHIO Funeral Director’s License
- Must have valid driver’s license.
- Computer literate (working knowledge of EDRS, Continental Computer Smart Director and Microsoft Office programs)
- Possibly insurance licensed (or willing to become licensed)
- Must be ambitious, hardworking, and willing to do all work aspects around the funeral home, from minor landscaping, building and livery maintenance/repair to funeral directing.
- Desire to ensure visitations and services are conducted in a manner to exceed the expectations of our families.
- Must be capable of communicating with management, families served and staff.
- Desire to participate in community events, groups, or organizations.
- Expected to work periodically over a 40-hour week. Flexible scheduling, negotiable schedule(full time employees must reside within a 60-minute drive from Brookfield, IL in any weather condition).
- Must love animals and understand the value they have to humans.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate Core Values of Compassion, Excellence, Trust, Care and Growth in performing all aspects of position.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner so that you get along with families, co-workers, and management.
- Transferring of remains to Funeral Home. Most often will contact client family members and will affect initial coordination of activities with medical examiner, coroner or doctor and satisfy other legal requirements. (i.e. FTC Rules).
- Follow company standards by initiating proper identification, personal effects documentation, etc. while making transfers
- Perform embalming (only if licensed to do so) of remains and cosmetology according to industry standards and practices, technical, safety and sanitary requirements, and funeral home direction.
- Dress and present remain in casket or alternative container and deliver to visitation area if requested by client family.
- Treat human remains with respect and reverence.
- Maintain clean operating area and equipment and comply with all governing rules and regulations regarding sanitation and hazardous waste.
- May be required to perform Pre-arrangement functions of assisting client families with requested service arrangements, selection of funeral merchandise and other products and financial arrangements.(Additional Licensing will be required)
- Plan and effect placement of casket in visitation area, adjust light fixtures and arrange or supervise arrangement of floral tributes.
- Counsel with and advise client families and arrange funerals, and supervise funeral service activities in accordance with the individual client family’s wishes and company standards
- Coordinate all service arrangements and details with clergy, other presiding persons, fraternal or military organizations who may participate in the conduct of the funeral service. Participate in funeral services no matter the faith to honor every family loved one.
- Possess or show initiative to poses knowledge of the geographic location of all hospitals, cemeteries, crematories, churches, and other places where funeral services may be held including traffic patterns to and from each location and entrance and exit points of each building.
- Communicate with clergy of all faiths.
- Arrange for all services in the trade of individual funeral services (i.e. musical preference, open or closed casket, traditional or contemporary attitudes).
- Direct Funeral, including assisting in placement and removal of casket to and from funeral coach, chapel or other place of service and interment location.
- Lead funeral procession from place of service to interment site.
- Supervise and assist with visitation by ushering and directing families and visitors of deceased to and from visitation area and where services are conducted.
- Participate in market outreach activities in the community including one-on-one presentations, group presentations and event participation within the community, civic or fraternal organizations as a part of local promotional and outreach efforts.
- Arrange family automobiles in funeral procession in accordance with the client family’s wishes.
- Ensure that all family and staff are participating in each funeral service are performing their assigned functions and in place at designated times.
- Arrange and coordinate shipment of remains to and from other cities and localities.
- Participate in the general upkeep of the building, grounds, and cars.
- Housekeeping to keep the facilities and grounds in perfect order. This includes keeping work areas tidy, picking up litter on the grounds and general straightening up.
The above duties are neither intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities for this position nor are they intended to be a listing of prerequisite skills and abilities. The purpose of this job description is to describe the general nature of the position.
Essential Physical Responsibilities:
- Ability to tolerate exposure to any manner of death including pets.
- Occasional lifting, pushing, and pulling, with assistance, of objects up to and exceeding 250 pounds.
- Manual dexterity required for clerical tasks.
- Occasional stooping, bending, pushing, pulling, and carrying objects weighing up to approximately 50 pounds for short distances.
- No Visible Tattoos
- No Facial Piercings
- Suit (pants or dress/skirt), white shirt/blouse, tie required for all funeral/memorial services.
Our continued success is a direct result of the staff we employ. We are looking for professionals that share our approach, vision, and dedication.
Salary/wage directly related to experience, drive, and ambition to work. Health insurance and pension plan are offered, for full-time employment. Paid breaks and meals are provided to all staff. Dry Cleaning with clothing allowance, attractive vacation schedule and open to
- Salary/Hourly Wage Negotiable
- Housing Negotiable
- Schedule Negotiable
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org